Woodland Underpainting

oil underpainting of a woodland scene

I had a couple of hours spare this evening so decided to make a start on a new piece. Earlier in the year I started a couple of woodland paintings in acrylics and really enjoyed painting them.

I decided to have a go at underpainting for the first time. Apparently underpainting is a good way to ‘block out’ the painting with tone values before actually adding any true colour. I also thought it may improve the painting surface as I do find the pre-primed canvas tends to suck the paint up hindering flow.

Still waiting for a tube of raw umber to come in the post, I used burnt sienna and diluted it with Sansodor low-odour solvent. I’m not sure how this technique will pan out when I come to block in the actual colours, but I like the fact I have a painting ‘ready to go’.

Published by Chris

Landscape artist Chris Richards lives on the edge of the Brecon Beacons in the village of Ystradgynlais. Chris works mainly in oils, but also dabbles with acrylics, ink pens, watercolours, and soft pastels.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *